Fire HydrantsWe need your help in keeping the fire hydrants free from snow (at least 3 feet surrounding the hydrant should be cleared). With over 1,000 hydrants in town it takes us considerable time to get to them all after each major snow storm, and the more help we get from folks the quicker we can get them cleared and easily accessible in the event of an emergency.
If you don't know where your local hydrant is you can use the map from Maps Online that shows the location of the town's hydrants.
Also—please remember: In accordance with Massachusetts General Law Chapter 148 Section 27B it is unlawful to pile, push, or plow snow or ice on or against any fire hydrant in any public or private way. Please make sure not to shovel, plow, or blow snow onto the hydrants when clearing your property!
Drought Status in Massachusetts
Westford lifted the outdoor water use restrictions back on November 1 since we were out of the irrigation season at that point. As of January 6, 2017:
The Northeast Region of Massachusetts has been downgraded to a Drought Watch.
October and late November rainfall helped lower the annual precipitation deficit by approximately 2 inches, but we are still roughly 9 inches below normal for the year.
Accordingly, water conservation is just as important now as it was during the summer.
Pictured to the right:
Residential Water Meter Damaged by Freezing.
Online Bill Pay Service Provider for Water Bill Payments
City Hall Systems replaced Unipay as the Online Bill Pay Service Provider for the Westford Water Department on December 1, 2015. The 2 systems offer similar features with a few improvements.
- Paying out of your checking account by ACH E-Check will be free starting on December 1 for Water Bill payments.
- Payment by Debit or Credit Card will be subject to credit card company fees based on a percentage of the amount being paid, with a minimum fee of $3. For this reason we strongly recommend using ACH E-Check to avoid all fees.
- Customers can pay as a guest or they can establish a user account. Note: Anyone who previously established a user account with Unipay will have to establish a new user account with City Hall Systems. We're sorry for any inconvenience but think you will like the new provider.
- Customers who establish a user account will gain access to some great features; payment scheduling, payment history inquiry and new to Westford - E-Billing.
- We are very pleased to offer E-Billing to our customers. You may sign up to receive your bill via Email only (E-Billing), or to have your bill delivered via Email and U.S. Mail (E-Notice). Once signed up, you will receive a notice by email each quarter.
View additional information on to the bill pay system, by visiting the City Hall Systems website.
Water Bill Calculator
Want to know how your water bill is calculated - or check your water usage? Click on the link below to access our Water Bill Calculator. Simply enter the requested information to calculate your bill and determine your water usage. View the Water Bill Calculator or learn how to read your water meter by viewing the February 2011 Water Department InFLOWmation Newsletter (PDF).
Northeast & Merrimack Valley Chemical Consortium
The Westford Water Department is the host community for the fiscal year 2017/2018 Northeast and Merrimack Valley Chemical Consortium (NEMVCC). The NEMVCC is a collaborative of 58 water and wastewater systems in northeastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire that solicits bids annually for water and wastewater laboratory supplies, treatment chemicals, and services. Learn more and visit the NEMVCC website for more information.
The first meeting of the NEMVCC for the 2017/2018 FY will be held on January 18th at 9:00 am at the Northeast Public Power Administration Building (behind the Littleton Electric Light and Water Department building) on New Estate Road, Littleton, MA. Go past the LELWD and take the first right after the soccer field and right onto access land and parking lot.
Service Line Insurance
Periodically our customers get calls from companies offering water service line insurance. We would like our customers to know that the Westford Water Department does not endorse any service line insurance product or company, and we recommend exercising due diligence before making a decision to purchase insurance. Before considering purchasing service line insurance you may want to check with your home insurance company-as some policies do offer some coverage for service line repairs or replacement.