Deck, Porch

  1. Determine which Zoning District your property lies in to determine what the required set back distance from property lines will be for your project (If you do not know this information, the Permitting Office at Town Hall can assist you with this matter)
    In Residence A Districts setbacks are 50 feet from the front lot line, 15 feet from the side lot line and 30 feet from the rear property line
    In Residence B Districts setbacks are 25 feet from the front lot line, 15 feet from the side lot line and 30 feet from the rear property line
    Remember that corner lots are considered to have 2 front yards and 2 side yards
  2. Obtain copy of Plot Plan and review any available subdivision or recorded survey plans of the property to determine if there are any easements on the property that might be affected by the proposed project and any associated excavation or regrading
  3. Obtain copy of septic system plan to assure location of deck or porch addition will not be located over any system components and will not compromise the integrity of any component (structures should be 10 feet from septic tank and 20 feet from septic field); note that sono-tube type supports must be 5 feet from all septic system components
  4. Use Plot Plan to show location and dimensions of proposed addition; and check for compliance with zoning bylaw setbacks, as well as building height limitations; if project does not meet requirements either redesign to comply or obtain variance from Zoning Board of Appeals (if the deck or porch is close to the required setback, a certified plot plan may be required by the building department)
  5. If a new driveway and entrance from the street is part of the project, must obtain curb cut permit approval from the Town Planner, Highway Superintendent and Building Commissioner; also check on whether driveway work will be near septic system and if so, what modifications to the septic system may be necessary
  6. If work on the new structure and associated site excavation and grading including new landscaping areas, or if work on the existing septic system, or if work on a new driveway will have to occur within 100 feet of wetlands or within a Riverfront Area, obtain any necessary Conservation Commission approvals
  7. Complete Structural Plan (Contractor or architect may complete)
  8. Complete Building Permit Application Form and include Contractor Insurance Certificate forms
  9. Work on project may begin following signing of Application Form by all involved review Boards and the Building Commissioner and proper posting of site
Note: This checklist is intended to identify the majority of issues to consider in relation to this kind of project. Special circumstances relating to the nature of proposed construction or location of the project may require additional considerations.