Accessory Structure

  1. Determine which Zoning District your property lies in to determine what the required set back distance from property lines will be for your project (If you do not know this information, the Permitting Office at Town Hall can assist you with this matter)
    In Residence A Districts setbacks are 50 feet from the front lot line, 15 feet from the side lot line and 30 feet from the rear property line
    In Residence B Districts setbacks are 25 feet from the front lot line, 15 feet from the side lot line and 30 feet from the rear property line
    Remember that corner lots are considered to have 2 front yards and 2 side yards
    Also, any new structure must be a minimum of 20 feet from any other structure
    Note: A shed 120 square feet or less in area does not require a building permit and has a reduced setback to side and rear lot-lines;  sheds over 120 sq. ft. require a building permit and proposed plot plan.  Any shed may need Conservation Commission Approval for installation please check with Conservation Resource Planner before installation.
  2. Obtain copy of a Certified Plot Plan and review any available subdivision or recorded survey plans of the property to determine if there are any easements on the property that might be affected by the proposed project and any associated excavation, regrading, septic system work or new driveway
  3. Obtain copy of septic system plan to assure location of new structure will meet required setbacks and not interfere with existing septic system components and reserve septic areas, and to check whether septic system modifications will be necessary
  4. Use Plot Plan to show location and dimensions of proposed new structure; and check for compliance with zoning bylaw setbacks, as well as building height limitations; if project does not meet requirements either redesign to comply or obtain variance from Zoning Board of Appeals
  5. If a new driveway and entrance from the street is part of the project, must obtain curb cut permit approval from the Town Planner, Highway Superintendent and Building Commissioner; also check on whether driveway work will be near septic system and if so, what modifications to the septic system may be necessary
  6. If work on the new structure and associated site excavation and grading including new landscaping areas, or if work on the existing septic system, or if work on a new driveway will have to occur within 100 feet of wetlands or within a Riverfront Area, obtain any necessary Conservation Commission approvals
  7. Complete Structural Plan (Contractor or architect may complete)
  8. Have Structural Plan reviewed and stamped approved by the Fire Department
  9. Complete On Line Building Permit Application Form and include Contractor Insurance Certificate forms
  10. Work on project may begin following signing of Application Form by all involved review Boards and the Building Commissioner and proper posting of site
Note: This checklist is intended to identify the majority of issues to consider in relation to this kind of project. Special circumstances relating to the nature of proposed construction or location of the project may require additional considerations.