- To protect the public by reviewing, approving and inspecting the built environment
- to impartially enforce all rules, regulations and by-laws that pertain to both the State Building Codes and By-Laws of The Town of Westford
- To assist - to the best of our ability - all customers with any questions, concerns or complaints
Online Permitting System is being reworked please make sure to change your password (for security purposes)
Due to summertime vacations and days off, the building / permitting department(s) may be short-staffed at times. There may be times when phone-calls and counter service do not get covered in a timely manner. Please forgive the temporary inconvenience of service.
All files are kept in the basement. Phone requests for files will be given an approximate time as to when the files will be available to view. Requests made at the permitting counter may not be immediately filled and may require returning at a later dated or time to view the file.
Please visit the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency's website to access information for hurricane preparedness!
New Building Code Information
- BBRS has approved the Draft for the 9th edition of the building code.
- The 9th edition will have a concurrency period
- The new building code will take effect around July 1, 2017
- Builders must be familiar with the new code
- As of January 2017 - Energy Code is IECC 2015 version
As of January 1st. 2015: All new construction for sprinkler and fire alarms shall be permitted through the Westford Building Department (Not the Fire Department). Any repairs or renovation to an existing building's fire protection systems will still require permits from the
Building Department General Information
Permits are required from the Building Department for any and all construction not considered a minor repair. Permits are required for any of these projects:
- Sheet Metal
- Solid Fuel Burning Appliance
Note: When calling for an inspection: Call and talk to someone directly. This department does not take email requests for inspections and can not guarantee an inspection has been received if left as a voice mail message.
Periodic Inspections are required for buildings (please see list in building documents section - Left column, under additional links)
Building Code Information
- As of January 1, 2015: Residential New Construction will require Radon Mitigation be installed.
- As of July 1, 2014: I-Joist protection in basements is required.
See I Joist Floor Protection Methods in Building Documents - Left column under additional links
- As of July 1, 2014: Stretch Energy Code Now In Effect!
- August 3, 2011: 8th edition of the State Building Code for 1&2 families is now in full force, effective August 3rd, 2011 (IRC with MA amendments).
- February 19, 2011: Sheet Metal / Mechanical Permits: Required as a separate permit.
Trench permits are required and are accessed through the building department's online permitting system (see link above)
- February 6, 2011: 8th edition of the State Building Code - Base Code (all buildings other than 1 or 2 family) is in full force, effective date of February 6, 2011 (IBC with MA amendments).
8th edition of existing building code (IEBC) is required to be followed when working on existing buildings
- July 6, 2010: The Massachusetts Division of Occupational Safety has adopted the Federal Lead Paint Regulations. Please go to the State Department of Labor Standards website to access information on this program.
NEW: Flood Plain Information, Due to the refinancing of many homes there has been an increased number of phone calls asking about flood plain information.
FEMA has updated all flood maps and is now accessible from the web. Go to the FEMA Flood Map Service Center website and that will bring you to the website to make flood maps of your area. On the left hand side type in your address and a map will show up for your area. You can print that map from the directions given on the site. You may also use the Town of Westford GIS mapping system to help in finding what the approximate elevation is of your property (do that by using the layers tab on the left hand side of the screen, open up the base layers folder and go down to contours - click on it!).
The Town of Westford is available to assist you in your search for flood plain information.
Note: Any changes that are made to the FEMA FLOOD MAPS are through FEMA and you may need the assistance of a licensed Surveyor to address proper elevations for your property.
The Town Manager appoints the Building Commissioner who in turn appoints the Wiring Inspector and Gas and Plumbing inspectors. The inspectors are paid by the Town either by the hour or per inspection. The fees which they collect are turned over to the town and goes back into the general fund.