Commission on Disability
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agenda
View all meeting minutes
The commission shall consist of 7 members. A majority of said commission members shall consist of people with disabilities, 1 member shall be a member of the immediate family of a person with a disability and 1 member of said commission shall be either an elected or appointed official of that city or town.
- Seat 1: Initial term - 3 years
- Seat 2: Initial term - 3 years
- Seat 3: Initial term - 3 years
- Seat 4: Initial term - 2 years
- Seat 5: Initial term - 2 years
- Seat 6: Initial term - 1 years
- Seat 7: Initial term - 1 years
The Commission on Disability is charged with performing the duties as described in the provisions of M.G.L. Chapter 40 section 8J.
Specifically, the commission shall:
- Research local problems of people with disabilities;
- Advise and assist municipal officials and employees in ensuring compliance with state and federal laws and regulations that affect people with disabilities;
- Coordinate or carry out programs designed to meet the problems of people with disabilities in coordination with programs of the Massachusetts office on disability;
- Review and make recommendations about policies, procedures, services, activities and facilities of departments, boards and agencies of said city or town as they affect people with disabilities;
- Provide information, referrals, guidance and technical assistance to individuals, public agencies, businesses and organizations in all matters pertaining to disability;
- Coordinate activities of other local groups organized for similar purposes.
Any member of the commission may be removed for cause by the Town Manager. If the Town Manager recommends removal, the member may request a public hearing by the Board of Selectmen. Any such request shall be in writing and submitted to the board within 10 days of the Town Manager's recommendation. If no such request is received, the Town Manager's recommendation shall constitute a final decision.
A vacancy occurring otherwise than by expiration of a term shall be filled for the unexpired term by the Town Manager, with the approval of the Board of Selectmen.
The chairperson and other officers shall be chosen by a majority vote of the commission members at a duly posted public meeting held within two weeks after the date of the annual town election.
Gifts of Property
The commission may receive gifts of property, both real and personal, in the name of the Town of Westford, subject to the approval of the Board of Selectmen, such gifts to be managed and controlled by the commission for the purposes set forth in this charge.