Economic Development Committee
- Advise the Board of Selectmen and other town boards on issues concerning bylaws, policies, regulations, and zoning that foster commercial growth, strengthen the local economy, and are consistent with maintaining the character of our community
- Encourage business investment in commercial zoning districts, increasing the commercial tax base, while minimizing the impact on local services
- Identify changing economic trends and develop recommendations to maximize interest in our community and attract these potential new businesses
- Assist with generating local employment opportunities
- Advocate for state and federal grants, incentives, or for improvement in regulations that help advance our economic priorities
- Promote Westford's identity in the Greater Boston, Metro West, 495, Merrimack Valley area
- Establish relationships and improve communication with local businesses; act as a liaison for our town in the business community
- Represent our town in the local and regional business associations
- Make recommendations to streamline permitting, licensing, and other regulatory functions; help new business owners navigate our permitting process
Small Business Permitting Guide
At their meeting on November 15, 2012, the EDC voted to formally approve the new Westford Small Business Permitting Guide (PDF).
While the Guide may be of assistance to businesses of any size, it is particularly intended to assist small businesses looking to locate or expand in Westford in order to minimize their need for professional assistance, and thereby reduce their business costs.
See also Jodi Ross Presentation (PDF) to the WBA on March 10th, 2015.