Westford Recycling Commission (WRC)
Notice: Mattress, Box Spring and Textile Bans Effective Nov 1
Mattresses, box springs, and textiles (anything cloth) will be banned from the trash and incinerator starting November 1st per order of the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection. After Nov 1, bulk stickers will no longer be accepted on mattresses and box springs. Please consider reusing or donating. Options can be found in the WRC "How to Recycling Everything" document - click HERE.
This week's trash/recycling pickup is on a NORMAL schedule.
Check the icon on the upper right to see if it's a blue or green week (you can confirm which week applies to your street HERE). The FY2023 Recycling Guide is your go to guide for schedules, recycling info, and more.
Recycling Pickup: The Town is aware of the recent issues regarding pickups --- if your recycling is not picked up on the correct day, please leave it out for the next day and call Waste Management or the Town Managers office to ensure pickup (scroll down for phone number).
Please Note: Trash and recycling holidays for the period July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023 are listed below. Your Trash and Recycling are DELAYED (one day delay) on the following holiday weeks:
- Fourth of July
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving (only Thursday/Friday are delayed by one day)
- Christmas (no pick up on December 26th - rest of the week delayed by one day)
- New Year's (no pick up on January 2nd - rest of the week delayed by one day)
- Memorial Day
April 29, 2023: Electronics & More - see link on left to see what items can be brought to the event.
May 2023: Household Hazardous Waste collection event -- exact date to be announced. See link on the left for more info and also to learn about reciprocal events at other Towns.
Save your Styrofoam! The next Styrofoam collection event is planned for Oct 21, 2023.
Recycling Plastic Bags
Reminder: Plastic bags should not be placed in curbside recycling; more information can be found HERE including a video prepared by the Westford Recycling Commission to help you identify what bags are accepted.
Westford Plastic Bag Reduction Program
Westford’s plastic bag reduction program went into effect on January 1, 2019 banning single use plastic bags. Please bring re-usable bags the grocery store. For more info, please contact the Westford Board of Health at (978) 692-5509 or ready the by-law HERE.
- Trash barrel 35 gallon max size, limit 3 barrels - if your current barrels are larger than 35 gallons, you do not need to purchase new barrels but the maximum allowed is 105 gallons (or 3 x 35 gallons). When replacing your trash barrels, please buy a barrel no larger than 35 gallons.
- You can also you plastic garbage bags in lieu of barrels.
- If there are recyclables in your trash and/or there is no recycling container out on your recycling day, the trash hauler will not pick up the trash.
- Please do not put plastic bags in recycling bins or toters, or recycle items in plastic bags as these bags will jam the recycling sorting machines. (Whole Foods, Market Basket and Donelan's accept plastic bags for recycling).
- Usually 7:00 PM – Check the agenda at Agenda Center • Westford, MA • westfordma.gov under Recycling Commission to verify the next posted meeting. Agendas are posted minimum 2 days before the meeting.
- Usually 2nd Thursday of Each Month unless noted differently in posted agenda. No meetings are held in August and December
- Roudenbush Community Center, 65 Main Street, Westford, MA, Room 202 unless noted differently in posted agenda
- Meetings are usually held in-person unless noted differently in posted agenda
Recycling with our vendor, Waste ManagementBoth residential and municipal recycling in Westford are picked up by Waste Management. Please review the following information for our best practices in making our recycling program successful:
- Recycling in plastic bags will be rejected. PLEASE NO PLASTIC BAGS.
- Please rinse and clean any glass, plastic or metal containers as best as possible.
- Recycling and trash must be at the curb no later than 7 a.m. for pick up.
- Recycling and trash pickups may be delayed by 1 day, see the holiday schedule above for specific dates.
- Recycling and trash must be separated (either side of the driveway is best) and clearly marked.
- Cardboard must be flattened and cut into sizes no greater than 3' x 3', placed in a container or box. If it doesn't fit, it may be bundled with tap or string, set next to the toters.
- Please continue to use existing yellow and black toters (owned by the Town) and other acceptable recycling bins and toters.
Policy & Useful Tips
- Recycling & Trash Pick-up Policy (PDF)
- How to Use Your Recycling Guide (PDF)
- Home Composting (PDF)
- Westford Litter League Green Team
- How to Recycle Most Everything (PDF)
- How to Reduce Your Waste
- Useful Recycling Tips
- Recycling in Westford New Tips and Reminders
- Recycling Information and Enforcement Policy FAQ