Westford Recycling Commission (WRC)
This week's trash/recycling pickup is on a NORMAL schedule. Check the icon on the upper right to see if it's a blue or green week (you can confirm which week applies to your street HERE). See the pickup schedule for the year in our FY2022 Recycling Guide. The FY2023 Recycling Guide will be delivered to your mailbox by the end of the month --- keep an eye out for it!
Please Note: Trash and recycling holidays for the period July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022 are listed below. Your Trash and Recycling are DELAYED on the following holiday weeks:
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving (Thursday/Friday only)
- Memorial Day
Recycling Plastic Bags
Reminder: Plastic bags should not be placed in curbside recycling; more information can be found HERE including a video prepared by the Westford Recycling Commission to help you identify what bags are accepted.
Westford Plastic Bag Reduction Program
Westford’s plastic bag reduction program went into effect on January 1, 2019 banning single use plastic bags. Please bring re-usable bags the grocery store. For more info, please contact the Westford Board of Health at (978) 692-5509 or ready the by-law HERE.
Questions or Problems:
Issues with trash, please call: ACME Waste Systems (978) 479-2434: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Issues with recycling, please call: Waste Management at 1-800-972-4545: Monday - Friday 7:30 AM - 4:15 PM.
Please call the phone number(s) listed above for any issues with trash or recycling. If your issue is not resolved within 24 hours, you may contact the Town Manager’s Office at (978) 692-5501, ext. 1.
- Trash barrel 35 gallon max size, limit 3 barrels - if your current barrels are larger than 35 gallons, you do not need to purchase new barrels but the maximum allowed is 105 gallons (or 3 x 35 gallons). When replacing your trash barrels, please buy a barrel no larger than 35 gallons.
- You can also you plastic garbage bags in lieu of barrels.
- If there are recyclables in your trash and/or there is no recycling container out on your recycling day, the trash hauler will not pick up the trash.
- Please do not put plastic bags in recycling bins or toters, or recycle items in plastic bags as these bags will jam the recycling sorting machines. (Whole Foods, Market Basket and Donelan's accept plastic bags for recycling).
Want to compost?
The FY2021-22 Town of Westford operating budget included a 9%(!) increase in trash costs. These higher costs are driven by increasing amounts of waste and also the increasing cost to dispose of the waste. The good news is that we don't have to spend the full amount that was appropriated if we can divert our trash away from our waste stream by reducing, reusing and recycling. Another powerful lever to reduce our trash costs is to compost organic material --- organic material can represent up to 20% of the weight of our trash suggesting this is a powerful to reduce Westford's trash.
Interested in learning more? Click HERE to learn more about composting.
We'll also have Earth Machines composters for only $25. Call Nicole Feliciano at the Westford Highway Department: 978-692-5520 or email email@example.com
Recycling with our vendor, Waste Management
Both residential and municipal recycling in Westford are picked up by Waste Management. Please review the following information for our best practices in making our recycling program successful:
- Recycling in plastic bags will be rejected. PLEASE NO PLASTIC BAGS.
- Please rinse and clean any glass, plastic or metal containers as best as possible.
- Recycling and trash must be at the curb no later than 7 a.m. for pick up.
- Recycling and trash pickups may be delayed by 1 day, see the holiday schedule above for specific dates.
- Recycling and trash must be separated (either side of the driveway is best) and clearly marked.
- Cardboard must be flattened and cut into sizes no greater than 3' x 3', placed in a container or box. If it doesn't fit, it may be bundled with tap or string, set next to the toters.
- Please continue to use existing yellow and black toters (owned by the Town) and other acceptable recycling bins and toters.
Policy & Useful Tips
- Recycling & Trash Pick-up Policy (PDF)
- How to Use Your Recycling Guide (PDF)
- Home Composting (PDF)
- Westford Litter League Green Team
- How to Recycle Most Everything (PDF)
- How to Reduce Your Waste
- Useful Recycling Tips
- Recycling in Westford New Tips and Reminders
- Recycling Information and Enforcement Policy FAQ