Westford Recycling Commission (WRC)
Pickup Status: Trash or recycling pickup are on a one day DELAY schedule this week due to President's Day holiday.
MINI Household Hazardous Waste Days in Lowell
There are five MINI Households Hazardous Waste Days in Lowell in 2018. Open to non-residents who pre-register. Registration opens a month before the event. Check online for dates, acceptable items, and fees (cash only). Note that non-residents will have additional costs for some items.
Issues with trash, please call: ACME Waste Systems (781) 935-6339: Mon-Fri 8AM - 4PM
Issues with recycling, please call: Republic Services (800) 442-9006: Mon-Fri 8AM - 5PM
Hours and Notes:
Please call the phone number(s) above. If your issue is not resolved within 24 hours, contact the Town Manager's Office at (978) 692-5501.
Trash barrel 35 gallon max size, limit 3 barrels.
If there are recyclables in your trash and/or there is no recycling container out on your recycling day, the trash hauler will not pick up the trash.
Please do not put plastic bags in recycling bins or toters, or recycle items in plastic bags as these bags will jam the recycling sorting machines.
New Recycling Vendor
As of Friday, July 1, 2016, residential and municipal recycling in Westford will be picked up by Republic Services. It has been many years since the town has changed vendors. Please review the following information:
- Recycling and trash must be at the curb no later than 7 a.m. for pick up.
- Recycling and trash pickups will be delayed by 1 day, the week of July 4 holiday and other holidays.
- Recycling and trash must be separated (either side of the driveway is best) and clearly marked.
- Recycling in plastic bags will be rejected.
- Cardboard must be flattened and cut into sizes no greater than 3 feet by 3 feet.
- Please continue to use existing yellow and black IPR toters (owned by the Town) and other acceptable recycling bins and toters.
Westford Recycling and Trash Statistics
In the FY 2017, Westford trash data show overall decrease of 73.8 tons of trash, hence we had slightly less trash removal than the previous year and tipping fees were reduced by $5,094. Recycling data show decrease of 300.8 tons of recycling, hence we recycled less than the prior year. The overall trend in Westford for trash tonnage data shows a reduction in trash generation by residents whereas the recycling data shows a positive trend with a continued increase of recycling activity over the last 12 years. Keep up the great work Westford!For additional information view the Trends in Westford Recycling Efforts (PDF).
September 2016 Electronics & More Event Statistics
21,600 lbs of electronic devices, 12,260 lbs of mixed metals, 5,521 lbs of air conditioners and 9,491 lbs of TVs and monitors. This is a total of 48,872 lbs overall, simply fantastic! Our next event is May 6, 2017! See our video below... Thank you to all residents for reducing, reusing, and recycling!
Policy & Useful Tips
- Recycling & Trash Pick-up Policy (PDF)
- Bulk Sticker Price Reduced to $5
- How to Use Your Recycling Guide (PDF)
- Home Composting (PDF)
- Westford Litter League Green Team
- How to Recycle Most Everything (PDF)
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agenda
View all meeting minutes