Westford Recycling Commission (WRC)
The 2020-2021 recycling guide/calendar has been published and delivered to your mailbox (also available via the link on the left). Click the schedules link to see if your street is on the BLUE or GREEN pick up schedule. The next recycling event is the Electronics & More event on September 19th. Any changes will also be posted on the WRC website.
Updates on plastic bags recycling: The ban on reusable bags has been rescinded and the Westford plastics bag ban has been reinstated. As a reminder, plastic bags cannot be placed in curbside recycling. The following locations are now taking plastic bags for recycling as well as accepting bottle returns:
- Market Basket (both Littleton and Westford locations)
- Donelan’s, Acton, MA
This week, trash and recycling pick-up are on a NORMAL schedule.
Please Note: Trash and recycling holidays for the period July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021 are listed below. Your Trash and Recycling are DELAYED on the following holiday weeks ONLY:
- Labor Day
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
Questions or Problems:
Issues with trash, please call: ACME Waste Systems (781) 935-6339: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Issues with recycling, please call: Waste Management at 1-800-972-4545: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
Please call the phone number(s) listed above for any issues with trash or recycling. If your issue is not resolved within 24 hours, you may contact the Town Manager’s Office at (978) 692-5501, ext. 1.
- Trash barrel 35 gallon max size, limit 3 barrels.
- If there are recyclables in your trash and/or there is no recycling container out on your recycling day, the trash hauler will not pick up the trash.
- Please do not put plastic bags in recycling bins or toters, or recycle items in plastic bags as these bags will jam the recycling sorting machines.
Earth Machine Composters for Sale
Earth Machine composters for sale to help support our local composting efforts. To purchase an Earth Machine backyard composter for $25, call Denise Seyffert at 978-692-6986 to arrange for payment and delivery. More details, click here for our brochure.
Recycling with our vendor, Waste Management
Both residential and municipal recycling in Westford are picked up by Waste Management. Please review the following information for our best practices in making our recycling program successful:
- Recycling in plastic bags will be rejected. PLEASE NO PLASTIC BAGS.
- Please rinse and clean any glass, plastic or metal containers as best as possible.
- Recycling and trash must be at the curb no later than 7 a.m. for pick up.
- Recycling and trash pickups may be delayed by 1 day, see the holiday schedule above for specific dates.
- Recycling and trash must be separated (either side of the driveway is best) and clearly marked.
- Cardboard must be flattened and cut into sizes no greater than 3' x 3', placed in a container or box. If it doesn't fit, it may be bundled with tap or string, set next to the toters.
- Please continue to use existing yellow and black toters (owned by the Town) and other acceptable recycling bins and toters.
Westford Plastic Bag Reduction Program
Please note that Westford’s plastic bag reduction program goes into effect on January 1, 2019 and has been reinstated (after being suspending during the height of the pandemic). For more information, please contact the Westford Board of Health at (978) 692-5509.
Westford Recycling and Trash Statistics
In the FY 2019, Westford trash data show overall increase of 91.3 tons of trash, hence we had 1.2% more trash removal than the previous year and trash tipping fees were increased accordingly. Recycling data show decrease of 99.0 tons of recycling, hence we recycled 3.8% less than the prior year.In Westford, the 11-year trend of trash tonnage data show an overall reduction in trash generation by residents whereas the 14-year trend in recycling tonnage data shows an overall positive trend with an increase of recycling, barring the exception of the last 3 years, we’ve seen a decline in recycling activity and a slight rise in trash tonnage.
The town budgeted $509K for the cost of collecting curbside recyclables this current fiscal year as compared to the $1.220 million budgeted for curbside collection of solid waste (trash). During the October Special Town Meeting, voters approved an additional $80K to cover the cost of tipping fees that jumped from $45K to $125K this fiscal year. A tipping fee is the amount charged for disposal based on weight.
For additional information view the Trends in Westford Recycling Efforts (PDF).
2019 Electronics & More Event Statistics!
The Westford Recycling Commission typically holds two events each year for residents to recycle electronics materials and more. These opportunities continue to be highly successful in eliminating recyclable materials from our waste stream and your support has been fantastic! Statistics from our May 2019 event yield the following data: 23,799 of Light Iron, 43,952 lbs of Electronics (Including: TV’s, Monitors, Vacuums, Printers, Car Seats, Batteries, Toner and Speakers) and 15,507 lbs of Mixed Metals. This is a total of 83,258 lbs!
Our next event is on September 19, 2020 from 9 AM to 1 PM at the Town of Westford Highway Garage 28 North Street! See our video below... Thank you to all residents for reducing, reusing, and recycling!
Policy & Useful Tips
- Recycling & Trash Pick-up Policy (PDF)
- How to Use Your Recycling Guide (PDF)
- Home Composting (PDF)
- Westford Litter League Green Team
- How to Recycle Most Everything (PDF)
- How to Reduce Your Waste
- Useful Recycling Tips
- Recycling in Westford New Tips and Reminders
- Recycling Information and Enforcement Policy FAQ
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agenda
View all meeting minutes