Westford Recycling Commission (WRC)
Pickup Status: Collection of trash and recycling is on a NORMAL schedule this week.
Stay tuned and return here for more upcoming recycling events!
There are no recycling events planned thru the rest of the year - enjoy your holidays!
The Westford Recycling Commission
Issues with trash, please call: ACME Waste Systems (781) 935-6339: Mon-Fri 8AM - 4PM
Issues with recycling, please call: Republic Services (800) 442-9006: Mon-Fri 8AM - 5PM. Note the Groton Transfer Station will take recycling free of charge if your curbside pickup is missed.
Hours and Notes:
Please call the phone number(s) above. If your issue is not resolved within 24 hours, contact the Town Manager's Office at (978) 692-5501.
Trash barrel 35 gallon max size, limit 3 barrels.
If there are recyclables in your trash and/or there is no recycling container out on your recycling day, the trash hauler will not pick up the trash.
Please do not put plastic bags in recycling bins or toters, or recycle items in plastic bags as these bags will jam the recycling sorting machines.
Recycling Vendor - Republic Services
Both residential and municipal recycling in Westford are picked up by Republic Services. Please review the following information for our best practices in making our recycling program successful:
- Recycling in plastic bags will be rejected. PLEASE NO PLASTIC BAGS.
- Please rinse and clean any glass, plastic or metal containers as best as possible.
- Recycling and trash must be at the curb no later than 7 a.m. for pick up.
- Recycling and trash pickups will be delayed by 1 day, the week of July 4 holiday and other holidays.
- Recycling and trash must be separated (either side of the driveway is best) and clearly marked.
- Cardboard must be flattened and cut into sizes no greater than 3 feet by 3 feet.
- Please continue to use existing yellow and black IPR toters (owned by the Town) and other acceptable recycling bins and toters.
Westford Recycling and Trash Statistics
In the FY 2017, Westford trash data show overall decrease of 73.8 tons of trash, hence we had slightly less trash removal than the previous year and tipping fees were reduced by $5,094. Recycling data show decrease of 300.8 tons of recycling, hence we recycled less than the prior year. The overall trend in Westford for trash tonnage data shows a reduction in trash generation by residents whereas the recycling data shows a positive trend with a continued increase of recycling activity over the last 12 years. Keep up the great work Westford!For additional information view the Trends in Westford Recycling Efforts (PDF).
2018 Electronics & More Event Statistics!
The Westford Recycling Commission holds two events each year for residents to recycle electronics materials and more. These opportunities continue to be highly successful in eliminating recyclable materials from our waste stream and your support has been fantastic! Statistics from our May 2018 events yields the following data: 45,902 lbs of electronic devices, 25,000 lbs of mixed light metals and 12,356 lbs of TVs and monitors. This is a total of 83,258 lbs overall! During our September event, 8,880 lbs of Light Iron, and 40,236 lbs of Electronics (Plus: 14 Car Seats, 47 Monitors, 133 TV’s, 10 lbs of Batteries, 30 Sets of speakers and 27 lbs of Ink/Toner) for a total of 49,116 lbs!
Our next event is May 4, 2019 from 9 AM to 1 PM at the Town of Westford Highway Garage 28 North Street! See our video below... Thank you to all residents for reducing, reusing, and recycling!
Policy & Useful Tips
- Recycling & Trash Pick-up Policy (PDF)
- Bulk Sticker Price Reduced to $5
- How to Use Your Recycling Guide (PDF)
- Home Composting (PDF)
- Westford Litter League Green Team
- How to Recycle Most Everything (PDF)
- How to Reduce Your Waste
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agenda
View all meeting minutes