Westford Recycling Commission (WRC)
This week's trash and recycling pick-up are on a NORMAL schedule. Check the icon on the upper right to see if it's a blue or green week (you can confirm which week applies to your street HERE). See the schedule for the year in our FY2022 Recycling Guide.
Please Note: Trash and recycling holidays for the period July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022 are listed below. Your Trash and Recycling are DELAYED on the following holiday weeks:
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving (Thursday/Friday only)
- Memorial Day
FY2022 Recycling Events
The recycling events are currently scheduled as follows:
- Electronics & More: Sept 25, 2021 and April 30, 2022
- Brush Chipping: Oct 2, 2021 and April 23, 2022
- Hazardous Household Waste: May 14, 2022
Announcing Composting Open Houses
At the recent Town Meeting, voters approved the FY2021-22 Town of Westford operating budget which included a 9%(!) increase in trash costs. These higher costs are driven by increasing amounts of waste and also the increasing cost to dispose of the waste. The good news is that we don't have to spend the full amount that was appropriated if we can divert our trash away from our waste stream by reducing, reusing and recycling. Another powerful lever to reduce our trash costs is to compost organic material --- organic material can represent up to 20% of the weight of our trash suggesting this is a powerful to reduce Westford's trash.
Interested in learning more? Join Ellen Harde and the volunteer members of the WRC at our upcoming Composting Open Houses:
Dates (all Saturdays): June 19, July 10, 17, 24, 31
Hours: 9:30 - 11:00 am
Locations: Old Highway Department Yard @ end of Beacon Street in Graniteville.
We'll also have Earth Machines composters for only $25. Click HERE to learn more about composting.
Don't forget to follow us on Facebook:
Recycling Plastic Bags
Reminder: Plastic bags should not be placed in curbside recycling so please read on to see options for recycling plastic bags
Note: The Rotary sponsored "Bags to Benches" Challenge has been suspended until September 1st: The Rotary thanks everyone for their participation so far --- Westford has recycled 2,800 lbs of bags! The first bench will be delivered to Roudenbush in late summer. The Rotary look forward to resuming collection at the four locations this fall.
The same type of clean "stretch plastic" that the Westford Rotary Club was collecting for the Bags to Benches program with Trex (prior to the pause placed for July and August) is accepted at Whole Foods in Westford and Donelan's (Acton and Littleton). Stretch plastic includes plastic produce bags, plastic bread bags, bubble wrap, plastic outer wrap (around paper towels for example), etc. Again, please bring only clean plastic bags/wrap. Place any dirty or contaminated stretch plastic in the trash.
More information can be found HERE including a video prepared by the Westford Recycling Commission help you identify what bags are accepted.
Questions or Problems:
Issues with trash, please call: ACME Waste Systems (781) 935-6339: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Issues with recycling, please call: Waste Management at 1-800-972-4545: Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
Please call the phone number(s) listed above for any issues with trash or recycling. If your issue is not resolved within 24 hours, you may contact the Town Manager’s Office at (978) 692-5501, ext. 1.
- Trash barrel 35 gallon max size, limit 3 barrels - if your current barrels are larger than 35 gallons, you do not need to purchase new barrels but the maximum allowed is 105 gallons (or 3 x 35 gallons). When replacing your trash barrels, please buy a barrel no larger than 35 gallons.
- You can also you plastic garbage bags in lieu of barrels.
- If there are recyclables in your trash and/or there is no recycling container out on your recycling day, the trash hauler will not pick up the trash.
- Please do not put plastic bags in recycling bins or toters, or recycle items in plastic bags as these bags will jam the recycling sorting machines. (Both Market Basket and Donelan's are now accepting plastic bags for recycling).
Recycling with our vendor, Waste Management
Both residential and municipal recycling in Westford are picked up by Waste Management. Please review the following information for our best practices in making our recycling program successful:
- Recycling in plastic bags will be rejected. PLEASE NO PLASTIC BAGS.
- Please rinse and clean any glass, plastic or metal containers as best as possible.
- Recycling and trash must be at the curb no later than 7 a.m. for pick up.
- Recycling and trash pickups may be delayed by 1 day, see the holiday schedule above for specific dates.
- Recycling and trash must be separated (either side of the driveway is best) and clearly marked.
- Cardboard must be flattened and cut into sizes no greater than 3' x 3', placed in a container or box. If it doesn't fit, it may be bundled with tap or string, set next to the toters.
- Please continue to use existing yellow and black toters (owned by the Town) and other acceptable recycling bins and toters.
Westford Plastic Bag Reduction Program
Please note that Westford’s plastic bag reduction program goes into effect on January 1, 2019 and has been reinstated (after being suspending during the height of the pandemic). For more information, please contact the Westford Board of Health at (978) 692-5509.
Policy & Useful Tips
- Recycling & Trash Pick-up Policy (PDF)
- How to Use Your Recycling Guide (PDF)
- Home Composting (PDF)
- Westford Litter League Green Team
- How to Recycle Most Everything (PDF)
- How to Reduce Your Waste
- Useful Recycling Tips
- Recycling in Westford New Tips and Reminders
- Recycling Information and Enforcement Policy FAQ