Resources / Help Lines
- Project Interface: 617-332-3666, ext. 411
Improving access to mental health and wellness services and systems
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Hot Lines are staffed 24 hours 7 days a week for people that are or believe they or someone they know may be in crisis.
Parents & Children
- Parental Stress Hot Line 800-632-8188
Parents and caregivers with problems related to their children call for support. Trained volunteer counselors who are sympathetic and non-judgmental answer the Parental Stress Line. No problem is too big or too small for a parent to call.
- Child at Risk Hotline 800-792-5200 617-232-4882
Call in to report suspected abuse or neglect of a child 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with DCF Area offices fielding calls weekdays from 9a.m. to 5 p.m. and Judge Baker covering evenings and weekends.
Suicide Prevention & Depression
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline 800-273-8255
Are you in crisis? Are you feeling desperate, alone or hopeless? Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255), a free, 24-hour hotline available to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. Your call will be routed to the nearest crisis center to you.
- Samaritans 877-870-4673 617-247-0220
Suicide Prevention, Intervention and Postvention dedicated to reducing the 508-875-4500 incidence of suicide by befriending individuals in crisis and educating the community about effective prevention strategies.
- Samariteens 800-252-8336
Crisis hotline for teens; staffed by teen volunteers; help for any teen who is suicidal or in despair.
Domestic Violence & Sexual Abuse
- Jane Doe, Inc. 877-785-2020
SafeLink is a 24-hour, free and multi-lingual hotline for programs in Massachusetts. An advocate can talk with you about your needs and help you identify shelters, programs and other resources. They can connect you to services for both domestic violence and sexual assault. View a map of sexual assault and domestic violence services in Massachusetts (PDF).
- Alternative House Crisis Hotline 888-291-6228
Alternative House is a member of Jane Doe, Inc. We provide emergency (up to 90 days) confidential shelter for battered women and their children who are fleeing an abusive situation.
Abuse of Disabled Persons & the Elderly
- Disabled Persons Protection Commission (DPPC): 800-426-9009
Call in to report suspected abuse of adults with disabilities between the ages of 18-59
- Elder Affairs Hotline: 800-882-2003
Staff provides assistance to elders on areas of concern; also provides connection to Protective Services when elder abuse is suspected
- Massachusetts Council on Compulsive Gambling: 800-426-1234
The Massachusetts Council on Compulsive Gambling's Helpline offers information and support for people concerned about their own gambling or a loved one's gambling.
Warm lines are run by and for consumers; they are used by consumers who need to talk to someone, but are not in crisis.
- Location Based Search for Programs and Services
- Massachusetts Coalition for the Prevention of Suicide: The Massachusetts Coalition for Suicide Prevention mission is to support and develop effective suicide prevention initiatives by providing leadership and advocacy, promoting collaborations among organizations, developing and recommending policy and promoting research and development
- AIDS Action Committee of Massachusetts AIDS: 800-235-2331
Provides information and referral for persons with AIDS/HIV
- Massachusetts Substance Abuse: 800-327-5050
Provides information and referral about substance abuse and treatment; run through DPH
- Alcoholics Anonymous (AA): 800-327-5050
12-step support groups for persons with alcohol addiction
- Al-Anon/Alateen: 508-366-0556
This is a statewide number for accessing local groups) support groups for family and friends of persons with addictions; Alateen is specifically to address the support needs of young people
- Narcotics Anonymous (NA): 800-327-5050
12-step support groups for persons with drug addiction
- Fenway Violence Recovery Project: 800-834-3242
Run out of the Fenway Community Health Center, the project helps the gay/lesbian/bisexual / Transgender community with the aftermath of violence, including hate crimes and domestic violence
Local Organizations_for Support & Help
Locally based organizations designed to lend support, guidance and general assistance for those in need.
- See a New Sun Foundation: A charitable foundation committed to preventing suicide