We are not currently accepting applications.
Check back for future employment opportunities!
Are you interested in pursuing a career with the Westford Fire Department?
We're more than happy to answer any questions you may have about the fire service and working with us.
E-Mail us at JoinWFD@westfordma.gov
Give us a call! 978-399-2345
Stop by Fire Headquarters @ 65 Boston Road
Our pre-hire test consists of:
- Written Exam.
- Our exam challenges each candidate's general paramedic knowledge, and knowledge of Massachusetts Statewide Pre-Hospital Treatment Protocols.
- It includes a variety of multiple choice, short answer, labeling type questions, med math, and 12 lead interpretation.
- Candidates are given 2 hours to complete the exam, and must score at least 70% or higher to move on through the remainder of the process.
- ACLS Megacode Scenario with the EMS Medical Director.
- Peer Oral Board.
- Captain's Interview.
Upon receiving a conditional job offer, applicants must pass:
- Extensive background investigation
- Medical exam
- Psychological exam
- Massachusetts Firefighter Physical Ability Test
- All other applicants who successfully complete all portions of our pre-hire testing process will be placed on an eligibility list for future positions.
Upon accepting a position with the Westford Fire Department:
- All new employees are on probation for their first year of employment.
- Any applicant who is not certified to level of Firefighter I/II will be required to complete the Career Recruit Firefighter Training Program through the Massachusetts Firefighting Academy.
The Town of Westford provides an excellent compensation package as defined in the IAFF Local 3126 Collective Bargaining Agreement.
To view all benefits provided by the CBA, click the link below.
- Currently $18.35/week
Schedule (Article 16)
- Rotating 24 hour shifts.
- 24 hours on duty, 48 hours off duty, 24 hours on duty, 96 hours off duty.
- 42 hour work week (Eight (8) week average)
FY23 Compensation Schedule (Article 37)
- Employees paid weekly by direct deposit.
|Step 9 (After 15 years of Service)||+5% base pay|
- Step adjustments are based on experience. The Chief has the right to start new employees on higher steps based on experience up to Step 4.
- Employees advance to the next step after completion of a complete year of employment.
Cost of Living Adjustment (On July 1)
- FY2022: +2%
- FY2023: +2%
- FY2024: +2%
Overtime/Forced Overtime (Article 19)
- Overtime: Time & one half hours beyond an employees regularly scheduled shifts.
- Forced Overtime: Any employee forced to fill an open shift is paid at a rate of two times their hourly rate.
- Employees are not ordered in from home.
- Forced overtime goes in reverse order of seniority through all members of the shift.
- Employees cannot work more than 48 consecutive hours.
- Three (3) hour minimum for shift call back. (Article 17)
Details (Article 13)
- Time & one half hours for any Town of Westford fire/EMS details.
- $55.00/hour for any private fire/EMS details, minimum four (4) hours.
- After 4 hours, minimum eight (8) hours.
- After 8 hours, minimum ten (10) hours.
- After 10 hours, minimum twelve (12) hours.
- After 12 hours, minimum fourteen (14) hours.
- $60.00/hour for any "emergency fill" private fire/EMS details
Paid Holidays (Article 23)
|24 Hour Holidays|
Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Years Day
|1/5th Holiday Pay|
Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independance Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Columbus Day.
Vacation Time (Article 22)
Years of Service
|0-5 Years||96 Hours|
|5 Years||144 Hours|
|10 Years||192 Hours|
Employees can carry over a max of 240 hours annually.
Personal Time (Article 36)/Sick Time (Article 24)
|Personal Time||--24 Hours Annually, Awarded 7/1|
--14 Hours Annually from Sick Time
(Must have accumulated an average of six (6) days for each fiscal year of service to be eligible.)
|Non-Occupational Sick Time||--144 Hours accrued annually|
--Can accrue up to 1440 hours of sick time.
|Local 3126 |
Sick Time Bank
|---Voluntary enrollment with contribution of 12 hours of employee's sick time annually.|
--Offsets what is not covered by employee's long term/short term disability coverage.
Clothing Allowance (Article 35)
Education Incentives (Article 20)
Awarded in June.
|Firefighter I/II (Included in base pay)||$900.00|
|EMT/Paramedic (Included in base pay)||8%/16%|
|Fire Instructor I||$350.00|
|Fire Instructor II*||$550.00|
|Fire Prevention Officer Level 1||$350.00|
|Fire Prevention Officer Level 2||$550.00|
|Fire Officer I||$350.00|
|Fire Officer II||$500.00|
|Eight (8) Child Safety Seat Tech's||$300.00|
|Two (2) Public Safety Educators (SAFE)||$300.00|
|Twenty (20) Fire Safety Officers||$300.00|
|College Course Work|
|15 college credits in Fire Science curriculum or job related area of study approved by the Chief.||$300.00|
|Each credit earned after, up to 60 credits or $1,200.00||$20.00/credit|
|Associates in Fire Science or Equivalent||2.5% base pay|
|Bachelors in Fire Science or Equivalent||5.0% base pay|
|Masters In Fire Science or Equivalent||6.25% base pay|
*Instructor II replaces Instructor I
Longevity (Article 18)
|Years of Service||Annual Payment|
|After 5 Years||$600.00|
|After 10 Years||$850.00|
|After 15 Years||$1,100.00|
|After 20 Years||$1,600.00|
|After 25 Years||$2,100.00|
|After 30 Years||$2,600.00|
- Biennial recertification reimbursement to maintain State and National EMS certifications, as well as ACLS for Paramedics.
- The department encourages exploring available training opportunities. Over the years, our community has supported the continued expansion of funding for training within our annual budget. Funding cover costs related to overtime, shift coverage, course tuition, and travel. All requests for Fire & EMS training beyond what is offered or required by the department must be reviewed and approved by the Fire Chief.
New fire department employees are eligible for the following benefits:
Middlesex County Group 4 Retirement
Blue Cross/Blue Shield Health & Dental Insurance
PPO: 60/40 Split
HMO: 65/35 Split
MetLife Vision Plan
Supplemental Life Insurance
Group Term Life Insurance
Long Term & Short Term Disability Insurance
Healthcare Flex Spending Account
Visit the Town of Westford Human Resources Document Center to get the latest information on employee benefits!
Don't forget to view Page 2!
Health and wellness both on the job and at home are critical to keeping our team mission oriented. Besides the Town of Westford Employee Assistance Program, we are actively working to expand services for all of our Westford Public Safety Personnel.
- All Westford Fire, Police, and Communications personnel have access to our WPS Wellness App, driven by Cordico. This app puts up to date health and wellness resources into the hands of our first responders and their immediate family members 24/7.
- With support from members of Local 3126 and fire department administration, we are working toward developing an in-house peer support program to benefit all members and their families.
- Cancer awareness and prevention in the fire service is critically important to keeping members healthy. We provide cleaning and decontamination equipment for equipment and PPE at all of our stations and on our apparatus. As of our latest contract, the town provides reimbursement for cancer test kits for up to 20 members/year.
- We are actively pursing grants and funding through our annual budget to expand health screenings for all of our members.
- Members are provided two complete sets of structural firefighting turn out gear. Having two sets of turnout gear allows members to switch into clean personal protective equipment while the soiled set is properly cleaned and decontaminated.
- Our stations are equipped with exercise equipment, and our contract provides time to exercise on-duty.