Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations Working Group
The Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations Working Group purpose is:
1. Explore the needs and feasibility to provide the necessary network of the EV Charging Stations and to support the demand for EV Charging Stations. The Working Group (WG) findings will expand on the Clean Energy and Sustainability Committee’s (CEASC) RoadMap goals.
2. Develop action plan with obtainable objectives:
- Regulatory changes
- Implementation process
- Funding strategies.
3. The WG will review current building/zoning regulations, in conjunction with the state’s regulatory environment, and suggest changes to either require or incentivize installations or readiness.
4. The WG will be consistent in identifying criteria for both existing and new development, and locations such as for multi-family condo/rental properties.
5. The WG will provide a “Best Practices” resource for funding, tax incentives & grants; vendors; estimated costs; examples of successful installations; etc.
The Group is comprised of a number of Westford residents, including representation from the Planning Board and Clean Energy & Sustainability Committee. The staff contact is Assistant Planner Sierra Pelletier, who can be reached at email@example.com or at (978) 692-5524.
For more information and research conducted by the Group, please see the links below:
Guidance Documents, Laws, and Best Practices
- Mass General Laws: Public Electrical Vehicle Charging Stations
- MA EVSE Installation Guide (MA DOER; Nov 2017)
- Plug-In EV Deployment Policy Tools (US DOE; Aug 2015)
- ADA Requirements for Workplace Charging Installation (US DOE; Nov 2014)
- Plugging In: Readying America's Cities for EV (US PIRG; Winter 2018)
- Electrifying Transportation in Municipalities (American Cities Climate Challenge; Aug 2021)
- EV Ordinance Best Practices (GPI; June 2019)
Bylaws, Policies, and Plans from Other Towns
- Ipswich, MA Zoning Bylaw: EV Excerpts
- Methuen, MA Zoning Bylaw: EV Excerpts
- Somerville, MA Climate Forward Plan: EV Excerpts
- Boston, MA: EV Readiness Policy for New Developments
- Franklin Township, NJ Zoning Ordinance for EV
Programs for Installation and Rebates
- MassEVIP Public Access Charging Program Requirements: Level 1 and 2 Chargers (MassDEP; Dec 2020)
- MassEVIP Public Access Charging Program Requirements: DC Fast Chargers (MassDEP; Dec 2020)
- National Grid Charging Station Program Fact Sheet
- Summary of Rebates and Incentives by EV Working Group
- EV Rebate Application Data for Westford, Q4 2014 - Q3 2021
- Publicly Available EV Charging Stations in Westford
- State to Expand Electric Vehicle Charging Stations (The Salem News; Feb 15, 2022)
- Grid Capacity for Projected Growth in EVs (Summary of YouTube Video; Feb 2022)
- Can EV Users and the Grid Be Reconciled? (Cleantech; June 2021)
- EV Charging Infrastructure Trends, Q2 2021 (US DOE)
- Numbers and Percentages of EV Charging Spaces: Examples