Central Fire Station
Owner's Project Manager:
The Vertex Companies
The feasibility study for a new fire station, completed by the architectural firm Dore & Whittier Architects, started in 2014 and at the March 2015 Annual Town Meeting voters approved funds to complete the design and construction of a new Center Fire Station to be located on Boston Road.
Context Architecture, formally Donham & Sweeney, completed the design of the new building in August of 2016. The Fire Station design is for a 19,572 square foot two story building that includes five apparatus bays, a 50-person training room, office and meeting room space on the first floor and dormitory rooms, kitchen, break room and fitness center on the second floor.
The estimated construction cost for the schematic design was $8.7M. After a site plan review, the project received approval form the Westward Planning Board in January 2017. On May 31, 2017, the PTBC recommended that the Board of Selectmen award the construction contract to Castagna Corporation of Newburyport, MA for a total bid amount of $8,767,000. Construction began in August and is expected to be completed in the fall of 2018.
- Presentation to Board of Selectmen on Fire Station (PDF)
- Fire Station Space Needs Program (PDF)
- Presentation for Special Town Meeting (PDF)
- RFQ Briefing Session Presentation (PDF)
- Article 7 (PDF)
- Article 8 (PDF)
- Center Fire Station Conditions (PDF)
- Center Fire Station Existing Floor Plans (PDF)
- Center Fire Stations Conceptual Floor Plans (PDF)
- Donham and Sweeney Fire Station Design RFQ (PDF)