The Board of Selectmen is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of our citizens, providing a high quality education for our children, managing growth, maintaining the town infrastructure, and protecting the town’s valued environmental and historic resources, all in a fiscally responsible manner. The board will provide open and honest leadership, promote citizen participation, and support and encourage our town employees and volunteers. The board will always act in the best interest of the Town.
The Westford Board of Selectmen usually meet the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month, 7:30PM in the Town Hall Meeting Room. The meeting is telecast live on cable TV channel 9 for Comcast customers and channel 34 for Verizon customers.
Policies / Applications
Projects / Initiatives
The Board of Selectmen and town of Westford staff compiled a list of State Mandates that cost towns valuable funds to comply with. We are requesting that our state officials review this list and bring forth those mandates they feel may be changed to alleviate some of this financial obligation on the part of towns.
- May 20, 2011 - Knights of Columbus Bishop Ruocco Council No. 9275 Day
- November 2010 - Pancreatic Cancer Month
- October 24, 2010 - United Nations Day
- May 23, 2009 - Arnold Wilder 100th Birthday
- March 26 through April 30 of 2007 - Motorcycle Safety Awareness Period in Massachusetts
The Selectmen are the chief policy making officials of the Town and are responsible for the enforcement of all town bylaws and regulations. The Board of Selectmen appoint the following people and committees according to the Charter explicit language:
- Town Manager
- Town Counsel
- Conservation Commission
- Board of Appeals
Additionally, in accordance with general language in the Charter, the Board of Selectmen appoint the following:
- Cable TV Advisory Committee
- Community Teamwork, Inc. Representative
- Council On Aging
- Building Committees (currently there are four: Permanent Town Building Committee, Permanent School Building Committee, Fire Sub-Station Committee, and Police Station Committee)
- Historical Commission
- Lowell Regional Transportation Authority Representative
- Northern Middlesex Council of Government (Selectman Representative)
- Any ad hoc committees required to carry out the responsibilities of the Selectmen which are not delegated to the Town Manager for appointment (for example, the Highway Garage Siting Committee)