Rain Barrel Sale
The Westford Water Department is pleased to once again partner with The Great American Rain Barrel Company to provide a town rain barrel program. Rain barrels can be purchased on line. Visit the Great American Rain Barrel Company website at https://www.greatamericanrainbarrel.com and click on “Shop Community Programs” and click on “Westford” (this link is also available through the Water Department website at www.westfordma.gov/water). The deadline for purchasing rain barrels is
May 19th at 5:00 pm, and pick-up will be on Wednesday May 26th from 4:00-6:00 pm at the Water Department (60 Forge Village Road).
Rain barrels are a great way to conserve water and have a ready supply of temperate water for outdoor use. The attractive barrels offered in the sale are 100% recycled, come in 3 environmentally compatible colors, 35% of retail price, are heavy-duty, will last indefinitely, and are made in the USA. The rain barrel is re-purposed from a 60 gallon shipping drum that is 39” tall by 24” wide, and 20 lbs empty. It is made from 3/16” polyethylene which is UV protected and BPA free. The barrel comes complete with overflow fittings, drain plug, screw on cover, and a threaded spigot with a choice of two ports to use with either a watering can or a garden hose. The rain barrel arrives with simple instructions for fast and easy installation.
In New England, rain barrels can save up to 1700 gallons of water during extended summer months!
The 2015 CCR (Water Quality Report) is Available at
As part of our ongoing maintenance program, the Westford Water Department will be completing a comprehensive water main flushing program beginning March 14, 2016 in the Forge Village, Graniteville, Town Center, and Nabnasset sections of town. Flushing will begin in Forge Village.
Flushing dates and locations are subject to change as weather conditions and length of flushing times may vary. The schedule below is our projected schedule based on estimated completion times and optimal weather conditions. This site will be updated regularly with any changes to this estimated schedule. It is important to refer to this schedule as the date of flushing in your area approaches to confirm that we will be in your area as projected.
2016 Flushing Schedule
for Thursday April 28, 2016: Route 110, Graniteville
Areas Completed: Forge Village
Periodic flushing is performed to maintain water quality and adequate flows throughout the distribution system. This program involves opening fire hydrants and flushing valves to create increased water flows which dislodge and clean out naturally-ocurring sedimentation in the water mains. Things to note:
- Flushing will be conducted between the hours of 8am and 3pm, Monday through Friday.
- During flushing, water pressure may be low and the water discolored.
- Minor flooding of streets, periods of low pressure and/or temporary loss of water service could occur.
- Let the cold water run for several minutes AFTER FLUSHING IS FINISHED IN THE AREA to clear up any discoloration.
- Please avoid washing clothes during the dates and times of flushing - visit the website to see if we will be flushing in your neighborhood.
- Visit the Water Department website to find out the area of town currently being flushed.
If your water does not clear after running the cold water, or if you have any concerns regarding the flushing please do not hesitate to contact the Water Department at 978-692-5529. The Westford Water Department assures our customers that the water is safe to drink and any discoloration is likely to clear after running the cold water for a few minutes. We regret any inconvenience this may cause you. Thank you for your patience!
New Online Bill Pay Service Provider for Water Bill Payments 12/1/2015
City Hall Systems will be replacing Unipay as the Online Bill Pay Service Provider for the Westford Water Department on December 1, 2015. The two systems offer similar features with a few improvements.
- Paying out of your checking account by ACH E-Check will be free starting on December 1st for Water Bill payments.
- Payment by Debit or Credit Card will be subject to credit card company fees based on a percentage of the amount being paid, with a minimum fee of $3.00. For this reason we strongly recommend using ACH E-Check to avoid all fees.
- Customers can pay as a guest or they can establish a user account. Note: Anyone who previously established a user account with Unipay will have to establish a new user account with City Hall Systems. We’re sorry for any inconvenience but think you will like the new provider.
- Customers who establish a user account will gain access to some great features; payment scheduling, payment history inquiry and new to Westford - E-Billing.
- We are very pleased to offer E-Billing to our customers! You may sign up to receive your bill via Email only (E-Billing), or to have your bill delivered via Email and US Mail (E-Notice). Once signed up, you will receive a notice via email each quarter.
If you have any problems, questions or concerns about City Hall Systems, please don’t hesitate to contact the Water Department at 978-692-5529.
Thank you for using our online Bill Pay system!
Click on the link below to continue on to the bill pay system:
Want to know how your water bill is calculated - or check your water usage? Click on the link below to access our Water Bill Calculator. Simply enter the requested information to calculate your bill and determine your water usage.
Click here to learn how to read your water meter
Change to Fluoride Level In Westford Drinking Water
The new optimal fluoride level has changed from 1.0 parts per million (ppm) to 0.7 ppm based on recommendations by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The Westford Water Department implemented the new optimal fluoride level in July of 2015. For more information visit the Fluoridation page under the "Education and Outreach" and "Fluoridation" tabs located to the left.
Sodium in Drinking Water - 2015 Results Now Available
For information on sodium in drinking water click on the Education and Outreach then Sodium in Drinking Water Links on the left side of the page.
The Westford Water Department is the host community for the FY2016 Northeast/Merrimack Valley Chemical Consortium (NEMVCC). The NEMVCC is a collaborative of fifty-eight water and wastewater systems in northeastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire that solicits bids annually for water and wastewater laboratory supplies, treatment chemicals, and services. Visit the NEMVCC website at www.nemvcc.com for more information.
The 2016/2017 kick-off meeting is scheduled for January 19th at 9:00 am at the Littleton Electric Light and Water Department conference room
Service Line Insurance
Periodically our customers get calls from companies offering water service line insurance. We would like our customers to know that the Westford Water Department does not endorse any service line insurance product or company, and we recommend exercising due diligence before making a decision to purchase insurance. Before considering purchasing service line insurance you may want to check with your home insurance company—as some policies do offer some coverage for service line repairs or replacement.
Cant' find your fire hydrant?
If you don't know where your local hydrant is you can use this new map that shows the location of the town's hydrants.