Skip Navigation
Town of Westford Massachusetts
Home Page | Contact Us | Browse Aloud | Translate
This table is used for column layout.
Getting Married in Massachusetts
Getting Married in Massachusetts?

You will need to go to a City or Town clerk's office in Massachusetts to file your intentions.  Both of you need to appear in person with very few exceptions (military, illness or incarceration).

The fee for filing your intention in Westford is $25.00

There is a 3-day waiting period before you may obtain your marriage license (the waiting period may be waived by court order), so don't wait until the very last minute for this!

The marriage license is valid for 60 days from the date of filing, so don't come in too soon!

You will be swearing or affirming that there is an absence of any legal impediment to marriage in Massachusetts or your resident jurisdiction after marriage if not Massachusetts.  Click here for legal impediments.

Non resident out of state clergy members must petition to solemnize a marriage in Massachusetts.

If the officiant performing the ceremony does not have a religious affiliation and is not a Justice of the Peace, a one day marriage designation  is required.

For further information, please contact us at 978-692-5515 or

Town of Westford | 55 Main Street, Westford, MA 01886 | 978.692.5500 | 8am-4pm Monday - Friday
Website Disclaimer and Privacy Policy | Virtual Towns & Schools Website